Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mothers Day Dipped Planters


I keep saying these words..."I can't believe _______ is right around the corner." This began just before December 2011. Am I just getting older? Anyways...Mothers Day is approaching (insert common quote I just mentioned ;p) & I wanted to do a project that would be a really inexpensive Mothers Day gift. This can also be a hostess gift, party favor and/or place setting. 


I saw this quote on pinterest & loved it. If you're a mom, Stephanie looks like she has some great advice & insight. Click on source to check out her blog.

My mom's name is Kay. And she is the most beautiful woman in the entire world. This quote is so true. She is what home feels like to me, she is the person I can feel most comfortable bawling my eyes out in her arms, she is my #1 fan (besides my dad & husband), she is the best listener in the world, there is no better human example of Gods love than her love & she is one of the reasons this blog even exists. 



My grandmother, my mom & I used to craft all the time growing up. Some of the best memories were sitting around the kitchen table hot gluing away! :-) I've got a bit of a perfectionist complex so I'd get really frustrated when I messed up. I'd want to just throw it away & start over but my mom would say...there is never a mistake you can't make into something beautiful. She gave me the courage to go to the edge creatively even if it didn't turn out how it was supposed to...and let me tell you of all the "trials" I've done for this blog...there have been plenty of "errors." 

I've got another Mothers Day/Birthday gift coming her way but I decided on this project because of several reasons. 

1) My mom & dad just redid their kitchen & it's been a long time coming. It looks awesome though! Maybe I'll share the before/after with you?! 

2) My mom loves using herbs in her cooking. She's the best cook! 

3) Dipping is in! I'm not talking about dipping as in chocolate dipped cone. Oh man, but that sounds really good right now. ;p 

I'm talking paint dipping. 

If you follow Centsational Girl, you know she talked about the trend here. She goes more in depth but basically it's the illusion of dipping your furniture or accessory in a different colored paint than the rest of the piece. 

Can you believe this was from an IKEA piece? Check out her blog to find out how she did it! 

Here's what I started with - 


I got the pots at Michaels for a little over $2 for both. The acrylic paint I already had, as well as the gloss enamel. I also picked up two herbs for a little over a $1 each. 


First you paint a base color on the two pots. I ended up doing about three coats. 


I didn't want to literally "dip" the pot in the paint because I didn't a whole lot left. I was nervous I wasn't going to have enough. I tried to tape around the pot. That didn't work. I tried to tape a piece of paper around the pot & it kept slipping. So...I grabbed a rubber band out of our junk drawer & it worked perfectly. I secured the rubber band around the pot & then started painting below the rubber line. 


After I painted the "dip" color, I sprayed it down with some gloss enamel spray by Martha Stewart to add the final touch. 

Then, I just planted the mint & rosemary into my dipped pots. 


I hope they help brighten up my mom's new kitchen! 

You could attach a special Mothers Day message to a toothpick & stick it in the plants. If you wanted to add a special message you could say, "Thanks for helping me grow in _________, Mom. Happy Mothers Day!" Have your children fill in the blank. Ask them how has Mom helped you? Was it going over your math homework that's so tough? Helping talk through relationship issues with friends at school? 

I know the flower pots have been done before but the paint dipping adds a fun modern twist! 

Stop by next week for a tutorial on wedding/party signs! 

If you're a mom...What has been the most meaningful Mothers Day present? 

P.S. If you want to see what I did for Mothers Day last year...go here. 

                                            
                                                                   Linking up to these blogs - 
                                        
                                               Weekend Bloggy Reading
Unveil Your Genius Link Party

12 comments:

  1. VERY CUTE! love the double dip idea... or at least that is what I call it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget! This is the only time it's acceptable to double dip! ;p

      Delete
  2. Super cute idea...simple with a big impact, my favorite kind of craft! Visiting from Serenity Now...check out my outdoor pots I just completed. Tis' the season to be planting...I love Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I really appreciate you stopping by! Can't wait to see your pot! I mean the planting pot. ;p Hope you're having a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Heidi,

    Those pots are so sweet! I'm on board with anything dipped. And a flower pot is a great low risk opportunity for trying out this latest trend. I'm sure your mom will love them.

    I'm visiting from the Serenity Now linky party. I would love if you stop by my blog as well. :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura...thank you so much for stopping by! I look forward to seeing your blog! Adorable profile pic. Hope you're having a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Pinning it! I love the rubberband technique, so smart, I can never get my tape even around a circular object!

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica...hey! Thanks for stopping by & I'm glad you like my rubberband technique. ;p I've definitely been guilty of doing things the more complicated way so I'm thankful this was a much easier solution. Look forward to visiting your blog. Have an Ah-mah-zing weekend!

      Delete
  5. So cute! I love the colors!! I would love for you to share this with my "Unveil Your Genius" link party (new party every Thursday).
    http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/04/unveil-your-genius-link-party-8.html

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taylor! I'll check out your link party! Thank you so much for telling me about it. Can't wait to visit your blog. Hope you have a great week & thanks again for popping in!

      Delete
  6. I featured your project in my Unveil Your Genius Link Party! Go grab a featured button: http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/p/unveil-your-genius.html

    :) Thanks for linking up! I hope you'll link up again soon! New link party every Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I just did a post today on the whole color dipped trend! I adore your pots; so cheerful & fun and what a clever cookie you are to use a rubberband. I will have to remmeber that!

    ReplyDelete

Anything you say, can & will be used to enhance this blog. :-) Thank you for your comments! <3